Wednesday, October 1, 2008

McAfee AntiVirus Software...

constantly pops up windows telling me some of the features are not turned on. This is because I turned the email spam filter off. McAfee slows my email to a crawl if I let their spam service run. It also places a large number of valid emails in its spam folder that it creates in my Outlook folders. When I move an email out of the spam folder into my inbox where it belongs McAfee conveniently moves it back to its own spam folder pissing me off really bad.

When Internet Explorer 7.0 beta was released I installed it and the McAfee security center opened up in an empty white window. Recently I installed the new beta of Internet Explorer and again McAfee Security Center opens in an empty white window. This is so totally ridiculous that I won't even rant on it. There is absolutely no reason for a desktop application to be dependent on the version of a browser installed on a pc. McAfee blames Microsoft. I'm a developer. I rant about Microsoft quite often. This is not Microsoft's issue. It's crappy programing from McAfee and they just won't live up to it and fix the problem.

In addition to popups about my settings, I get popups encouraging me to upgrade to a more expensive version. Sure McAfee, your software sucks so bad that I can hardly wait to give you more money for something that REALLY sucks. A few days ago I got a popup telling me that my subscription would be expiring in February 2009. That's right - 5 months in advance.

Frequently my entire PC freezes because McAfee is updating. Rather than using a threading model, McAfee takes control of both of my processors and won't let go until it is finished. McAfee does not create software. They create crapware.

I have begun sending them emails every time I get an annoying popup. I offered to stop if they would give me a partial refund and cancel my subscription, but they refused. I'll just keep emailing them several times a day - each time I am annoyed by one of their useless popups.

If you use McAfee and find it annoying as I do, then join me in sending them an email every time it annoys you. I don't think they have the talent or desire to make their software right, but at least we can all have some therapy by irritating them and making them pay for annoying the hell out of us with their crapware.

jw

No comments: